View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
cparman
sharp as a marble

Re: "Secret Audio" setup

I did exactly what you are describing in my 1967 Chevelle. I did not want to cut the dash, so I bought a secret audio setup with the cd changer. What I did is this:

mount the "radio " and the cd changer in the trunk. the The radio unit is about the size of a small cigar box. I mounted radio to the back of the rear seat, and mounted the cd changer as you see it in the pic below. I took the drivers sunvisor to the upholstery shop, and got the " you want to do what?" look, and ask him to just think about it. What we did is to mount the head unit into the cardboard part of the visor, and before the final install into the visor, connected the wiring to the head unit, and fed it out of the end of the visor near the end where the visor mounts to the body. Before taking the car back to the upholsterer I ran the cable thru the roof of the car, and fastened it along the way with zip ties. After the headliner was installed you could not see anything stereo related unless I showed it to you. I am going to guess that maybe you could feed the cable down the A pillar in our trucks, and then down the sill plate to mount all of the components under the seat.

The wiring to the head unit is fairly small, and It is almost unnoticeable. I do not have a pic of the sunvisor with the head unit in it.
Attached Images

cparman is offline   Reply With Quote