View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 01:39 AM   #7
mr48chev

Re: Not sure what my Trucks issue is - HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
running out of gas in the bowl? sometimes old rubber line collapses under suction from the pump. if you have a clear filter make sure there is gas in it.
Joedoe hit on some of the simple old truck things that guys overlook.

Restricted fuel line that will feed the carb fine at an idle but the bowl quickly runs out of gas when you speed the engine up.

Old rubber line coming apart inside as he mentioned. This ethanol gas eats the older rubber hoses in anything you put it in. I have gotten to where I specify hose that is ethanol compatible now.

Plugged fuel filter even though it may not be very old if you just started driving the truck after it sat for a long time crud may be breaking loose in the tank or lines plugging it up.

Gas cap= does it have a correct properly vented gas cap. I went though 3 correct number Stant vented caps on my 51 Merc before getting one that was actually vented. If the cap isn't venting it creates a vacuum in the tank that causes the engine to stall but This may not be the case as normally it stalls and acts like it is out of gas but if you open the gas cap you hear air rush into the tank and sometimes if the gas level is slow hear the sides pop back out on the tank.

Spark plug wires in the right order 1-5-3-6-2-4 ?

Valves out of adjustment as mentioned above? Or a burnt valve?

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote