View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #34
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can/Do It All" Build

Sorry for the lack of updates folks, I'm on spring break now so I'll be doing quite a bit more work on this truck. Did quite a bit already though, so just a quickie update for now, pictures will be uploaded tomorrow....

Extended the frame back out to factory length in the rear, had to cut off the last ~10 inches because the previous owner booger welded a hitch to it and wasn't worth trying to remove it from the frame. Used some 4''x2''x3/16'' wall rectangular tube to put the frame back out to factory length, it fit in between the frame rails perfect and I welded it all around, should be stronger than the original!

Then I got my leaf spring hangers bolted up as well as the shackle hangers. Leaf hangers are from a 2wd 3/4t 73-87 GM truck and the shackle hangers are from a 4x4 3/4t 73-87 GM truck. Using 56'' 3/4t leafs in the rear with a 4'' block. I didn't really want to use lift blocks, but I can't afford new springs right now and I didn't want to use the 73-87 4x4 leaf hangers because they hang really low and it would've looked stupid, and I've seen lots of trucks that have factory lift blocks in the rear, so I think I should be alright. And I am using the 73-87 tension shackle setup, so I don't think axle wrap will be a problem.

Also made a midplate mount from some 1/4'' 6061 aluminum, cut out on the PlasmaCAM at work, bolts between the engine and transmission and will have a poly-bushing on each side, should never have to worry about cracking a TH400 bellhousing with this midplate.

I also built that GotTrikes air/hydro tube bender since the last update, and I am very pleased with how it turned out. Still learning how to set up my bends so they are in the right places, but its super easy to work with since it bends in the vertical plane. Expect to see some tube work on this truck in future updates!

I cut up a rusted out 64/5/6 chevy cab to use as a mock-up floor and firewall, just cut the back off right below the big dimples and cut the windshield pillows a couple inches above the dash. Has a perfect unmolested dash and firewall to work with for mockup purposes, and its a large hump cab like my GMC cab, great to checking driveline to cab clearance and its light enough without the roof/back that it can be picked up and moved around easily with 2 people. I put it on my frame today after I got the Eaton back under the rear springs and back to rolling frame status again.

Tomorrow I'll be working in boxing the frame from the core support forward, since my front leaf hanger crossmember is there and that supports alot of weight, figured it would be better off if I boxed it in. I've got a badly bent 63 1/2t 2wd frame that I can cut the front end off of just ahead of the core support, perfect match for boxing in my frame. After that I'll be starting on my transfer case crossmember and transmission mount crossmember.

Pictures of the current progress should be up tomorrow!