View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #41
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can/Do It All" Build

I think it's about time for some updates right?

I got some more done on my transfer case mount setup. Uses 2.5''x2.5''x.25'' square tube welded to the frame, with 2''x2''x.25'' that slides through and bolts into the 2.5''. Not completely finished with it yet though, but the pictures get the point across.

2 bolts per end on the square tube to keep from pinching the 2.5'' tube down and making it difficult to slide the tube out. Showing off my welding with this one too.

And what it looks like on the outside of the frame rail, mostly just showing off my welding again.

Since my frame had some hack job of a mount and reinforcement plate for a later model power steering box, and was cracked around a couple of the bolt holes, I decided to fix that. Plated and boxed the frame with 3/16'' plate, not completely finished as I still have to box it in from the core support forward and finish welding the passenger side boxing plate in, but the pictures get the point across. Frame is now 3/8'' thick after being plated where the steering box mounts, plus being boxed and sleeved for the bolts, so I shouldn't have any frame flex or cracking issues around the steering box anymore.

Spacers will be welded on where the bolts are to set the steering box away from the frame slightly since I don't have a formed section of frame to fit the profile of the steering box.

And of course, gotta show off the welds...

I traded a 14 bolt axle for a set of 6 of these beasts..... 12 bolt Humvee wheels with 37'' military Goodyears. Funny thing about the deal, I was under the impression I was only getting tires, when the guy showed up to pick up the axle, the tires had these wheels in them and he said he knew I wanted the wheels and he didn't feel like pulling them apart to give me just the tires. Win win situation for me, since I have another trick up my sleeve for a different set of 16.5'' wheels that I plan on using and I won't be using the Humvee wheels for a while until I can afford to recenter them ($50 per wheel).

So transmission plans changed with the truck, decided to go with the 4 speed SM465 instead of the TH400, main reason being cost of rebuild and other required parts, and I really don't mind shifting, so the 4 speed it is. Plus the truck already had a SM465 in it when I got it, I already have a good clutch on the engine for it and have all the linkage stuff, and a full rebuild will cost me half of what the TH400 rebuild with a TC and shift kit would. Throw in the $230 Winters/Art-Carr shifter I wanted for the TH400, well that money will go a long way towards driveshaft parts that I need.

Went from this setup....

To this....

And just to hold your interest in case it takes me a while to post, here is a teaser shot of something I've been waiting quite a while to build... Lets see who can spot it first....

Last edited by 63GMCKid; 04-28-2012 at 07:13 PM.
63GMCKid is offline   Reply With Quote