View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #48
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can" Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@rnut001 View Post
Wow...excellent fabrication! Keep it up!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Yep, you are up there with the real heavy hitters like BuiltbyBrooks, Porterbuilt, Dino, and a few others I am not remembering their names just yet.

Too much math for this simple guy, but I am not too addled to know some serious work when I see it!!
I may not follow half of what you say, but I am in for the show none the less!!
Wow, thanks! To be considered as being in the close to the same league as those guys is a pretty big honor, while I am not a fan of lowered street trucks, I can appreciate the work that those guys put into their trucks and they are nothing short of amazing. Hopefully I can keep that standard up throughout the rest of the build.

And with a little bit more tech, I got all the measurements for my shafts, I need to machine the back of those yokes down slightly (like .08~.1'') so they don't rub the inner C when it's all together. Will turn the shafts down to 3/4'' to fit in the yokes at 18.0625'' and 28.625'', which is 1/8'' too long on purpose on both sides, and I might add another 1/16'' to that depending on how much I take off the back of the yokes. Length of the 3/4'' diameter section will be determined after I machine the back of the yokes. Luckily the splines are cut extra long on the Eaton shafts, so I can get away with making them slightly too long and can cut them down if need be and still have full spline engagement. After getting it turned, I'll TIG it out with some ER-70S-2, since most of the home built shafts I've found on Pirate are done with MIG and standard ER-70S-6 wire, however I might stop by the local welding supply and see if I can get some ER80S TIG filler instead, every bit of extra strength helps.

After that I'll polish about the first 6'' of shaft behind the yoke to act as a good seal surface. Likely going to run some kind of seal like this right near the ends of the axle tubes - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SIT-EAS2-05/ - I don't like the traditional design of front axles with the seals way down inside of the housing that let the tubes fill with dirt/water/mud/etc, plus they are a PITA to change if they are buried way down near the diff. However, I'm contemplating doing a redundant system with inner and outer seals, if my budget allows, since the Seals-It brand units that will work for inner seals for my application cost $65 each, and the outers are $27 each.