Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #92
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd66C20 View Post
Your truck/engine is looking awesome!!! Congrats on jumping into the deep end with all this. A couple of suggestions.

On the POR-15......the can will "weld" itself shut if you get the POR-15 on the edges while pouring, and put the cap back on. Try to avoid getting any POR-15 into the edges. The POR-15 goes a long way compared to regular paint.

I get a bunch of cheapy turkey basters, and transfer a smaller amount to a temporary container (soda can, plastic cup, etc)....with just the right amount that you will consume during that usage. I've also tried using saran wrap between top and the can....and it kind of works. This aids in getting the top off later, though you need to make sure it has a good seal.

Also, after you paint the engine, I'd suggest using a tap, and chasing out all of the bolt holes. It takes a little time, but makes like a lot easier in the years to come. I use a little motor oil on the taps while chasing.

A number of threads back, you mentioned the staples in the radiator siding pieces. LMC sells these replacement rubber pieces. I actually made my own staples by buying the same diameter steel wire (that comes in rolls) from the local hardware store. It was actually pretty easy, to align up the rubber pieces with the original staple holes, and "make" the staples.
Thanks RSD for the wise advise, especially on the POR 15...I will definitely use the ole turkey baster method to transfer the paint. I plan on painting the frame, front cross member, and suspension parts this way...Im not really sure how this is gonna turn out since I am not taking all of this apart. Plus I have never sprayed auto paint before or even mixed it for that matter but Im sure gonna give it a try....worst thing that could happen is it looks like garbage and Ill never open the hood...LOL I have to remind myself that this is going to be a driver truck and not a show quality vehicle, while I want it to look nice...I understand that it will have some flaws....just like I do.

It is easy to get caught up in "modifying" these vehicles and street rodding them.....I have been there and done that..Unfortunately there are not too many trust worthy shops that do this...My 63 C10 Stepside turned into a 10 yr nightmare and cost me a truckload of money.....This will not turn into that.....especially since I am doing the majority of the work myself...The only thing that I am going to pay to have done is to have it painted once I am done mechanically.

Matt from the machine shop gave me the break in instructions when I finally get to that point and I have to fight myself not to rush what needs to be done first before just sticking the motor in to hear it run.

Im figuring in a couple of weeks I will get to set it back in and fire it up....Waiting on brake booster adapter right now, along with the gasket set for the heater box, firewall grommets etc.....Once I get entire engine bay finished I will then work on the interior part...mainly the fuel system....have to make sure the tank is cleaned. I was told by Mike that this truck came with 2 options for tanks..and I have the smaller tank..I am considering putting the 24 gallon tank back behind the seat.......I know this is an open debate when it comes to gas tank placement and depending on what day of the week it is I go back and forth but Im leaving the tank behind the seat.

Randy is getting all the parts together to build the 700R4 right now so that should happen in a few days....

My HOPES are that I will get to drive it 4th of July weekend.....I don't think that is unrealistic at this point.

The funny thing is I started making a list of things Im gonna need to get it back running....boy was I naïve in my thinking..lol there is a lot of stuff still yet to buy...plugs, oil, antifreeze, waterpump, flywheel, starter, wires.....and the list goes on.....

I have decided that once I get it running and am realtively sure the little bugs are worked out then I will put the power steering on...kinda like a weekend project......Not a lot will get done today since its church night....gonna sure pray for some wisdom tonight....but I am one step closer....gotta love the journey as much as the destination
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote