View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: My introduction and query about my '61 Apache

First of all welcome to the forum and the classic truck madness. If you don’t already own a dwell meter my first suggestion would be to purchase and install a Pertronix electronic ignition. It’s easier than learning about all the problems of living with ignition points, and the Pertronix kit eliminates the need to invest in a dwell meter.

A tune up always starts with the points, since an incorrect setting will change the ignition timing. And any new ride should receive new plugs, distributor cap and rotor just so you know those are okay. Although you might have ignition issues, it really sounds more like the float setting may be off in the carburetor, or the fuel system/pump is causing the problem. The best way to make it reliable is to go through all of it so you have a baseline of knowing all the settings and pieces are working correctly.

A decent timing light would be a good investment if you don’t already have one, so you can verify everything is working correctly in the distributor and timing gears.

I have the 1960 Chevy Truck Shop Manual, so if you need something specific let me know and I’ll scan those pages for you. And as always just ask anything you don’t know, there are lots of knowledgeable guys on this forum willing to help.

Good luck!