View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #1167
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

Hello Everyone!
First off, I hope that all of you, and your families are doing well!
My next plan of attack on the A/C project was to install the evaporator...the heart of the unit so to speak.
While reading the installation instructions I noticed that I needed to mount a shut-off valve to stop the heater flow when the A/C mode was in use to the inner fenderwell area...Sorry, but that wasn't gonna happen if I had anything to do with it!....Soooo, This is where I start to stray from the herd.

I decided to look for different options on where to mount this valve besides inside the engine compartment. I determined that it would be clever to cut one of the tubes just inside the firewall, and install the valve there instead.

The valve seems to fit there pretty well, and you would never know that it is there without looking for it! As you can see I have cut & spliced the other tube also. I have additional plans in mind for these tubes...

I purposely ordered my system from Vintage Air without the hose kit & compressor, having the full intensions of using the compressor that is on my engine already, and also to use all AN style heater & A/C lines.
So, I cut the ends of the heater tubes and welded on some Earl's weld-on AN fittings...

The reason that I cut the other tube was to allow for the kit supplied bulkhead plate and grommets to be inside the cab instead of outside. I also welded nuts to the inside of this plate to allow fastening from the engine compartment side.

Here is a shot of the unit ready for installation into the truck with the bulkhead plate and grommets in place.

UGH!!!
The next step was to re-drill all of the factory holes that I once welded-up during the originall build.

And finally, now that all of the holes were drilled, I was able to install the evaporator unit...with some help from a friend of course!

That is all that I have for this week!
Stay tuned, as I have other tricks planned for this adventure!!!
Stay well!!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote