View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #77
skyphix

Re: 1980 Chevy C10 - Ugly but Functional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Wow! And I thought going from a 250-six and manual trans to a 350/TH350 was a lot of work. Great job!

Just FYI, when you get around to replacing the wiring with a generic harness, I highly recommend an American Autowire kit. I used their "Power Plus 20" kit. https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/power-plus-20-kit

Got it on sale and had a discount at Summit Racing, so paid around $260 for it. The materials (including GXL-rated wire), diagrams, and e-mail & phone support were first rate. The kit even includes their #510476 charging circuit kit with 6 gauge wire, terminals, and two maxi-fuses and holders.

I did need to buy a instrument cluster connector, because I didn't want to re-use the old one. Also had to reuse/modify washer/wiper wiring and connectors. There's also a few other gotchas, but the kit has circuits to spare!

The fuse panel will bolt directly into the factory holes on the firewall, but I made a plate to cover the OE hole. I also used standoffs on the inside for more room between panel wires and firewall. The distribution stud in the picture is something I added to feed the ignition switch and IGN fuse panel bus independently. The stud is fed by an 8 gauge wire, instead of the 10 gauge wire in the kit.

Thanks Mike! The picture wont load but thats OK - and thanks for the recommendation on a new wiring kit. This truck definitely needs it. It was originally 250 i6/3 speed, when I bought it it was 350/TH350, now its LS-based 5.3/4L80E. It also had a stereo hacked into it at one point, and it was a DOT/highway department truck for most of its life, so I imagine it had lights/etc at one point as well. Just a lot of terrible wiring. I am using a tablet for a gauge cluster so I'm not using any of the original gauge cluster except the fuel gauge for now (eventually will replace that as well.) I'd like to do a sheet metal dash plate, eventually.

I think I'd end up heavily modifying a factory replacement harness, but ultimately it will be the easiest way to get high quality wiring, connectors, and fuse box. I'm also going to add a secondary fuse block specifically for accessories in the truck down the road (specifically, USB charging ports and additional gauge lighting.) $260 is a much better price than I was expecting.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote