View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
72clearwater

Re: 72 GMC swb ls build

Well its been 6 months...new job, new baby, and a little progress on the 72 but I am long overdue for an update. I was able to pull a 6.0 from an escalade at the local pull a part for 300 bucks. I decided to break it down and hot tank it as there was a ton sludge and carbon build up. Thats when things started to snowball.. Turned out the rods were just out of spec. Leading me to pick up some texas speed rods. I was worried about PTV with my 243 heads cut .030 so I grabbed some wiseso fly cut pistons. I had inteded to use the stock crank... until my buddy showed me eagles ebay clearance account... So I ended up with a completely forged rotating assembly, double roller chain, texas speed 228/232 .600 lift cam with their dual spring kit, ARP main, rod, and head studs, trunion kit, ls7 lifters, etc.. I finally got her buttoned up a few weeks ago and was able to drop in the truck. I used the CPP mounts and retained the stock trans cross member. I ended up using a LT1 T56 out of a 94 vette I was able to pick it up dirt cheap and converted over to the ls1 mid plate. The T56 actually fit pretty well as I was worried that I would have to pick up the mid mount shift kit but after moving the bench back 2 inches there is plenty of clearance, plus extra room for my legs. At 6,2'' the fit is perfect. Besides drivetrain I replaced the rockers, and did some light rust repair, still learning everyday.. Last night I started mock up the fuel system using a 25 gal 87 blazer tank and sending unit, walbro 450 pump, Holley bypass regulator to a "ruturnless" stock rail. Please feel free to criticize or question anything I could be overlooking, im no expert by any means and here to learn.
Attached Images

Last edited by 72clearwater; 02-22-2020 at 12:56 PM.
72clearwater is offline   Reply With Quote