View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #694
special-K
Special Order

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

I remember when you asked advice on do it yourself or pay someone, and I said it's easy just do it. Glad to hear you got it done. Done deal now. That roof will be lasting a long time.

We used to call this type of metal roof "agricultural" or channel drain, but you see it going on some pretty fine homes these days. Asphalt shingles plus labor has become ridiculously expensive for a temporary roof.

I had all cedar shakes on all my roofs at one time, and copper gutter. First went the roofs with very low pitch on the outbuildings. Then a big limb fell on the screen house with 12/12 pitch. Insurance paid me to repair it but between it being the great recession and the cost of cedar and copper going up so much, I put the metal on and aluminum gutter and pocketed the rest. Next, the low pitch lower roofs on the house started going. I wanted to use the ready-made standing seam on the house, but it's more expensive and getting it done was what really mattered. The ag style probably suits my place more. It's not a fancy Victorian, more of a peasant's home, being a log home built by a freed slave. When I bought it there was corrugated over old cedar shingles. This roof is the modern version of that. It's not a home for historically correct architecture, more like an example of the eras it has been through. It's typical to have different styles from different eras when improvements were done.

That roof was 30 years old and very gone. Yet, underneath that spongy mossy surface was bone dry and looked fresh as the day I built the porch. That's why I took the picture of the ceiling before opening it up. I was amazed no water damage was showing. I figured the top side would be a different story, but no. This was when Tyvek first came out
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote