View Single Post
Old 04-07-2024, 05:55 PM   #88
Luke87gt

Re: Purchased a 1969 C10 Short Bed - Pleasanton, CA

So today I decide to take my 5yr old son out to help me change the oil in the C10.

Routine right? I’ve changed oil 100 times in my life on all kinds of makes/models.

Well, evidently the previous owner before me (or oil changers) decided to overtighten the hell out of the oil filter.

I put my oil filter wrench on the filter and instead of loosening, it just crushed the filter as I applied torque. Granted it was a cheap Fram filter which I’ve learned to never use because the casing is too thin. My life flashes before my eyes thinking of the hassle this could turn into. The more I try to loosen, the more the filter is crushing with the tool as it just slides against the filter.

I stare at it for 15min and come up with an idea… I put gritty sand paper between the oil filter tool and the oil filter along with a long pry bar. Thankfully it did the trick but badly bent the oil filter wrench.

When I took off the oil filter, I noticed that it came off because the threaded rod actually loosened from the engine. In 25yrs of wrenching, that was a first for me.

I put back and tightened the threaded rod as tight as I could get with with my fingers. Does anyone know the torque spec on the threaded oil filter rod? I need to torque that back down. Also, the size of the hex nut would be helpful to know too.

Next, once I drained the oil, I quickly noticed a very strong smell of gasoline in the oil. Can anyone provide any guidance as to what that could mean? I have been complaining that my garage smelled like fumes since I bought this truck but it got much stronger with the oil drain.

All is well, that could have turned into a massive hassle if the sandpaper trick didn’t work

I guess it’s all part of getting acquainted with a new classic
Attached Images

Wanted (pm me):
- Pair of 275/60/15 tires
Luke87gt is online now   Reply With Quote