View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
66 C10 383

Re: My First Classic Truck Build

Front Crossmember - An early 80's front crossmember is planned first of all. Naturally most parts will be replaced with new. I've seen several build threds where these were swapped. Is there any tricks to getting them bolted in squarely?

Brakes - I have a pair of 2000 Corvette C5 front calipers. Will these be adequate for this truck? I do plan on using the 5x5 1.25" 13" front rotors and don't plan on any high speed 100+ mph stops or heavy hauling. The stock Vette rotors are 13" diameter and 1.25" thick so I'm hoping the calipers will work with the available 5x5 13" 1.25 C10 style rotors. Of course I'll have to buy or make an adapter bracket for the drop spindles to C5 calipers. If the C5 calipers aren't strong enough to stop this truck then I'll just use the stock mid 80's brakes until I can get a 13" front setup.

For a rear disc conversion I have a 2000 Camaro setup with the internal e-brake. Again, are these calipers strong enough to stop this truck? If so, anybody know where to buy a 12" rear rotor that's compatible with the Camaro internal e-brake with a 5x5 bolt pattern? Since I need to buy rotors anyway I could have the Camaro rotors redrilled for the 5x5 truck.

Bellhousing - My truck has the 3 speed with no rear crossmember under the tranny. It has the crossmember under the bellhousing. In doing my research, I've read of several guys running Muncie style 4 speeds without a rear crossmember. But my T56 is a LOT heavier than a 4 speed. Isn't the stock 66 C10 3 speed the same pattern as the Muncie 4 speed? Will it take an 11" flywheel/clutch/pressure plate? Is it possible/feasible to remove the bellhousing crossmember and just use the bellhousing as is and then add in a rear style transmission crossmember?

Can anyone give my a clue as for the wheel backspace/offset

Thanks for reading and any help/adviseyou can give.
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote