View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #134
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

John Lennon once said "life is the thing that happens when you're busy making other plans" and life really has been getting in the way recently, I've barely made any progress in 6 weeks.

I finished the brake and steering install a while ago so when I found a bit of time recently I thought I would take the oportunity to put the truck back on its wheels . I fitted the 20" wheels I bought a while back but discovered a snag, the centre caps wouldn't fit, the centre hub of the new discs stick out too far.

Name:  Wheel2.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  42.7 KB

I have always intended to paint the spokes grey so it was time to kill two birds with one stone. I didn't think a beer can hub cap would work with this style of wheel so after a bit of head scratching and surfing the net I found these on the Speedway eBay store,

Name:  Spinners1.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  55.7 KB

they're not the best quality I've ever seen (made in Taiwan) but they were in a sale and at $40 for the full set (like £25) they are ok. I got some Bow Tie centre cap stickers for £5 also from eBay to finish them off.

Name:  Spinners2.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  51.3 KB

The towers taper so trying to work out the exact dia at the point they would come through the centre caps was a bit of a challenge, after detailed measuring and calculations Ok I guessed that it was about 3 1/2", which was real handy because I had a 3 1/2" hole saw.

Name:  Wheel3.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  58.6 KB

Next up paint the spokes, I chose a semi gloss mid grey (I only did 2 wheels in case I didn't like the colour). I have to say masking them was a pain, they literally took an hour each to mask.

Name:  Wheel4.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  67.4 KB

Last edited by ibrown50; 10-17-2015 at 06:19 PM.
ibrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote