View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #548
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

So it is Happy New Year day.

Last year on the 1st of January I changed the look of my 79 Blazer (now sold and in a film role)

Catscan Approved

So today I went to the garage just before 12.00 after a slow start.

After powering everything up, I added a sticker to my new mask, sent by mate Gary in Florida.

Swapped my new to me, California door for the trucks original, from California door that is so damaged.

Today’s first job was just to check out all the drilled holes from years past, mark them, weld them up.

These trucks were fixed real old Skool way, so pulling dents included holes, screws and pullers.

And after the media blasting the dents really still are there. So loads of work still to be done.

Some of the holes are quite large, and having been worked before, a lot of the steel is thin, stretched and the edges really are very thin.

So how do you fix these bloody holes ??

In my case the solution seemed obvious , thread through some 4” nails from behind, either by hand if you can find a place to get your hand and a nail in, or feed some thread, or string into the door though said hole, then attach firmly to the point of the nail and pull through and secure.

Then weld the nail in place using the head as a place to lay metal onto, and build up.

Finally, cut off the nail as flush as possible and grind back.

The track of the original dent still runs diagonally up the door and hopefully a puller and a final skim of filler would be enough there.

Finally I got all the holes in the area done.

More dents lover down, and of course a load of rust to get to next time around.

Next up would be the mirror mounting point and it’s stuck in drilled out studs and a bunch of holes on the door frame and to present it.

Seems it has convoy mirrors fitted and then they got broken off at some point, leaving more dents and holes.

But coffee, and a sandwich first, plus hand over all of Harleys stuff that was still in the house to Kevin for their cats or a cat charity.

More in a bit.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote