View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #37
Two45s

Re: Installing Air Conditioning in a 71

Richard,

Looks like you did a great job adding factory A/C to your 1971. I did a similar project a few years back on a 1978 Chevrolet K-20 4WD I purchased new that did not have factory A/C. I purchased another truck, a 1982 for parts that had factory A/C. Like you, I made a template to make additional cuts on the firewall. In addition, after taking measurements and checking my marks more than a half dozen times, I made the cuts. After that I used some scrap factory sheet metal and super imposed another piece over the part of the hole that made it look non-factory. I did not spot weld using a welder. Instead, I spent less than $10.00 at a local parts store for some liquid steel...two tubes that are mixed together. I was really suprised how well that stuff actually work. It made a very strong liquid weld that hardened up extremely nice, yet was as smoooth as a baby's behind. Currently, I would like to build a 69 or 72 K-5 Blazer 4WD along with a 69 or 72 K-20 pickup 4WD. Would prefer to get the vehicles with factory A/C. However, if I find a clean unit in the color(s) I'm looking for without factory A/C, I can certainly convert it over and will choose to use all factory parts except for some of the items mentioned by Critter. LMC truck has a better than original compressor. I've taken a rough inventory of buying all the factory A/C parts, and I think it will run $1200 to $1500...but well worth it cause like Critter said, it works so much better.
Two45s is offline   Reply With Quote