Thread: Rack and pinion
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #12
sixty4bigwindow

Re: Rack and pinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I've been down that later model column road a few times. Most recently with a '70 Coupe de Ville tilt/tele. But I've also done others. It's always a PITA especially with regard to the e-brake handle and mechanisim. Also steering wheel placement often winds up being too close to the driver resulting in further mods which makes shifter placement dicy. Last time I swore I was done using 30+ year old junk and contorting myself under the dash. If I ever do another column I'm going to call ididit. People say they have good luck with van columns and motorhomes due to the smaller tube diameters but those are about as rare as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods.
Ok so that's another topic (I know, it goes from one thing to another, to another with our rigs lol...) But my E-brake is not fully connected. I have a turbo 400 tranny, so not the original x-member with the brackets. I have tried to look high and low to find the linkage to connect the under-dash handle to the rear linkage. Lokar seems to have some stuff that KINDA looks like it would work, but I am hard-pressed to find the actual piece to mate our original handle to our original x-member back, linkage. ALL of that tied in to the column, I wouldn't mind splurging for an aftermarket or different column, If I go the route of like the Lokar tranny mount e-brake handle.

Basically it's a freakin domino effect puzzle lol. Making sure this piece fits with that piece, and the puzzle comes together.
sixty4bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote