View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #20
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona
Re: New replica tow hooks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislbrooks View Post
Haha, I do not think we are after an argument. But let's say GM builds them to twice capacity as needed -- even tho they will not say publicly. 66% may not look out of line to some.

I have worked on a plow crew, line crew, and coal miner. I have never seen a hook break -- tow or line - probably someone has. I have seen compression sleeves and cables break. Hooks were all probably steel. The pull loads sometimes exceeded the equipment weight --like a dozer stuck in mud with a teco cable plow 40" in the ground ---look out and go hide.

Agree most are for decoration now. I would use both my oem hooks for a pull just because I do not want to damage the frame.

So $400 ---wow -- $200 may be more in line --dunno.

Unfortunately, I know a person who works big rig recovery with those huge dual boom recovery units who had a hook give out while they were pulling a heavy loaded rig out of a ditch near Baltimore. The tension on the cable caused the cable to whip nastily when the hook gave out and nearly severed his right arm off just below the shoulder. Investigation revealed the cable slid in the hook during the pull to a thinner point in the hook body that caused the failure.
I am glad you have not seen that kind of failure...It doesn't happen often, but..
As murphy's law had it....

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote