View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #89
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: Interest for High rise(pre-runner style?) Fenders Fiberglass

Just a quick update.
Been busy on everything but the fenders, but got some work done on them.
I cut out the arch and the rusty parts it had no lower cup left, so had to make it.

A little foam

A little glass

and a quick coat of filler, rough sanding, and some primer just for an idea of how it looks

Notice the location of the sidemarker above. Really close to the edge of the fender, and it's current location interferes with the new arch location. So I had to cut it out and move it up. I moved it up an inch, by cutting out the light mount with extra metal on the top and flipping it around and welding it back in.
Just tacked in enough to be strong enough for the molding process. I might have to move it up even more for a larger fender!

welded, filler, some basic block sanding,

you can see where the marker recess was flipped around. Still needs some fine tuning with a block. But now the light is 1 inch higher than it was in the earlier pic.

and just a quick shot of primer.

The new arch and body line will be about 1/2" or so inside where the fender is cut. I will sculpt the rest of the front cup once I have the arch and lip detail in place, that will smooth out the rough look of the front cup in the shot above.

After alot of thinking and some tinkering, I think I have the best way to recreate the arch with all the detail I want.
here's what I'm going to use.

There's actually about 5 or more hours of hand filing and sanding that metal profile. It has to be completely smooth and rounded, so all the way from a file, through heavy to med to fine grits. For some reason in these pics it looks like there are burrs or something on it, but trust me, that baby is smooooth!

and here's a shot in the frame it sits in.

Those last two are a teaser. If you can't figure out what the heck they have to do with a fender, I'm going to use it to pull out the profile of the fender lip.

I'll post updates of the process.
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote