View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Truck tail lights in a burb/panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
There is a 90 degree metal tab on back of headlight housing that needs removed, this tab holds the housing out from body, then the oval recessed area for bulb needs to have the metal behind it on body cut just slightly larger than this oval so that the taillight housing will then inset into the body metal. The opening around taillight is just slightly larger than a fleet side so dad ended up welding in a filler plate on sides and then leaded the seams and sanded to smooth it ( same thing could be accomplished with body putty ) Then it's just a matter of screwing housing to body metal using the existing mounting holes in housing then install gaskets and fleet side taillight lens and your done.
For someone to have recessed the lens as far as it was done on LockDoc's photo they must have removed all the metal directly behind housing to allow it to sit that far back into the body, you only have to remove enough metal to clear the oval shaped recess for taillight bulb then the metal behind housing ends up placing housing flush with body when lens is installed. If thats your vehicle LockDoc you might consider placing washers behind housing to space it out further to flush it with the body so it's no longer recessed.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
Yes, It's mine. I haven't looked at it real close, but I think they made and welded in a new bucket. I will probably change the tail lights and put the reverse lights back in before I paint it.

Thanks,
LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote