View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
1967wannabe

Back with a square Body this time.

So I was on here years ago as I was putting together a 68 C10, LY6 6.0, 6L80E, Coys, CPP big brakes & tubular arms, etc, etc. Spent 2+ years collecting NOS trim, radio, handles, etc, probably had 80% of the trim & whatnot in GM boxes. Anyway, lost all that to a crazy woman (along with 20 years of home equity building) 4 years ago so I had to start over from scratch, put my head down and pushed forward. Now I have 5 acres with a pond paid off (to build on in the future) and a newish house about 1/2 way paid for so I figured it was time to dive into another truck project since I rebuilt my equity.
Found a 78 square in Oregon, 49,000 miles and all original, zero rust, one family owned (grandpa-grandson).
One of my little brother's was down here from Wisconsin in Houston visiting family and he suggested a road trip instead of paying a transport. So I bought 2 one way tickets to Portland, asked the seller to drop the truck off at our hotel and we made a 3 day road trip out of it through Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and TX. Awesome scenery (snow capped mountains, painted desert, Columbia river, Moab, etc) and the truck never missed a beat, 85 mph the whole way produced an awesome 9mpg which resulted in the consumption of about 257.3 gallons of fuel
Plans are to blow it apart to the frame then LS swap, 6.0 shooting for 500+ hp at the crank, T56 trans, ride-tech or QA1 four link/coil over setup, redo the interior with some plaid cloth inserts in the seat & door panels, take all the sheet metal to bare, get all the gaps good, blah blah blah. Strongly considering 2 tone but I can't decide on wheels yet, I'm leaning towards faux forged Ridler 607's (can't justify the expense of real forged) but I also would love some 20" white steelies with hub caps or some 20" Coys because then my truck would match my bike.
Back on here to absorb all the info and advice I can in an effort to minimize mistakes/regrets. Anyone have experience with the four link/coil-over set up? Comments? Suggestions?
Pics from our trip:
Attached Images

Last edited by 1967wannabe; 05-26-2020 at 10:58 AM.
1967wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote