View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
dsraven

Re: axle swapping and the Ford 8.8 stuff

yep, I hear ya. good point mr48.
if you modify the axle for the "bearing pressed onto axle" scenario, like the ford 9", and something goes awry, you run the chance of the shop "heat treating" your axle when they cut the old one off with a torch, or nicking the axle if they cut it off with a zip disc.
if you leave the axle as is you run the chance of damaging an axle if a bearing wears goes south or wears out.
chances of either scenario can be lessened with routine regular maintenance and proper lubricants.
there is also the repair bearing that uses the existing axle and a different style bearing in the housing. not an awesome fix though lots are driving around.
with all that said, again, we don't see many axle mishaps on the side of the road these days. mostly it's a tire, an overheating issue or a fuel issue. anytime you change something from stock chances of finding a replacement on the road becomes less. thats the reason why I try to use all stock parts. not stock for my truck but stock for something and hopefully some roadside parts guru has one tucked away.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote