View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 03:17 AM   #4
mr48chev

Re: How to reveal original paint?

I've watched a super skilled soda blaster remove one layer of paint at a time without disturbing the layer under it during a demo. That kind of skill is rare and not cheap when you are intent on saving one specific layer of paint.

That said you don't currently know why it was painted the first time or every time after that. Body damage? body panels replaced after a wreck? Previous owners just decided to have a fresh coat of paint thrown on down at the local Les Schwab every year or two.

You might try pressure washing it with a hot water pressure washer.

If you look past my wife sitting in the T bucket, and the Barracuda fast back you see my 48 just after I got it back in a trade after having sold it a year and a half before. Truck was sold with a gold lacquer paint job on it and came back having been painted about three times with different colors of cheap enamel with some real tacky flames on it. Most of that came off one night at the local car wash with about ten bucks worth of quarters. I actually blew sheets of paint off it and had to go back with a broom and dust pan to pick it all up to keep the old gent who owned the car wash from raising a ruckus.

If you sand it use a sanding block and not just the palm of your hand and don't get carried away sanding on spot. That original paint if much of it is left sands through real quick.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote