View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

Re: Putting in a new alternator and...

To anyone who want to keep the stock set-up I have a few suggestions. Obviously if you change the power needs of your vehicle drastically, you would need a bigger alternator. But what I have found to be a very successful methods of making these old systems perfom flawlessly is simple;

1- Keep the battery amp choice close to stock. A little over original is ok, but keep in mind that recharging a high amp battery requires a high amp capacity charging system. I run a stock battery I get from walmart.

2- Spend time and make sure the grounds on your truck are flawless. This could seem trivial, but poor grounds create line voltage fluctuations which can fatigue the charging system. I cant emphasisze enough how important this step really is.

3- Change your battery every 4 years, disregard the 60 month theory. If you think about it a $60.00 battery costs about $1.25 a month for 4 years. Its worth changing in my opinion. I also cut open a battery that was at its 4 year life and did a cel by cell volt check and the cell at the positive terminal lug was .5 volts lower then the rest. So if thats at 4 years, how low would it be at 5?

4- If you kill your battery accidentally, never ever use the charging system on the truck to charge the battery if possible. If you need a jump in the field as soon as you can get a charger on that battery do so and leave it on low amp charge for about 8-10 hrs.

I'm sure I dont hold the patent on electrical system good ideas, I just figured I offer what has worked flawlessly for me over the past 20 years.

Frank

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote