View Single Post
Old 12-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #8
Bmstd

Re: Idiot Lights to Gauges

Well, I tried to test the oil sending unit with my ohm meter but could not achieve readings consistant to what you have provided me as a guide mr. ray_mcavoy.

You are correct, the truck wiring originally used the dual terminal plug for the oil warning light and control for electric choke. The wiring harness also contained the extra plug in for the single terminal oil gauge sending unit which is the only thing i have connected. i am not using an electric choke at this time nor do i have the dual terminal sending unit installed. I checked both terminals of the oil light/e-choke plug and the tan wire is live when key is on. everything else is has no current. However, i noted that the large plug for oil light/e-choke also contains a blue wire running into the center of the plug. Not sure what this wire is doing since there is only two terminals on underside and i do not have an extra blue wire going to the gauge cluster plug. This may have been a wire that ran to the junction that picked up some feeds for the simple ecm that was in the truck. I did try to jump the big dual terminal plug and it definately made the gauge try to move further beyond the 3pm position.

Another descrepancy i found when re-pinning the plug for the cluster is that the terminal guide provided states that the oil light/gauge light wire is supposed to be blue, but the truck wiring for this is tan, and so is the wires that were sticking out of the plug from the donor gauge cluster.
My next move is to try to check resistance on the tan wire from gauge cluster to the plug for the sending unit.

Regardless, I have feeling i may have ruined the oil sending unit as I did pull a brain dead move and tried to plug in the test cluster to the truck wiring before re-pinning. However, i do need to confirm i have correct wire connected at position #5 that is going to the sending unit as first step.

Any additional thoughts or input you could provide would be greatly appreciated?
Bmstd is offline   Reply With Quote