View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #247
NC_John

Re: FITECH EFI 600 Basic and Command center intall with pics, factory tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Yeah, I can do a return that way easy. Some of the later sending units have a return built into them (72 I think). But according to FiTech, that's no good for the vent on the FCC.

I think its been confused a little on this thread between the vent and the return.

The FCC needs a vent, not a return. But they want it vented into the air space above the fuel in the tank "in case". You could just vent it to air, but there is a chance of spilling fuel.

If you do the external pump, you need a return somewhere, whether from the throttle body or use the corvette regulator.

I like the idea of the FCC because it gives me a small "fuel cell" up front that stops the issues associated with fuel slosh in the stock tank. But I don't have a good way of venting that thing to the tank that meets what FiTech says I should have without buying a new tank. The one I have is already new, just not interested in doing it again.

At least with a carb you have the fuel in the bowl. The stock setup will suck air occasionally but the carb isn't as sensitive to it because of the small reserve in the bowl. If you suck air with injection you get a sputtering engine, because there is no reserve. Air in the line means air into the injector.

So I could do your setup pretty easy-----and I still might. I'd probably do a bulkhead fitting into the sending unit I have.

I've been reading a lot about these Holley hydramats: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...mat/hydramats/

I think adding one of them to the pickup would fix the potential fuel slosh issues.

But just when I had my plan together Holley came out with their low cost fuel injection, so now I'm kind of waiting to see more reviews on that before I make a decision.
I think the FCC is just another component that could fail, is ugly under the hood and adds a LOT of extra plumbing. I didn't have problems with mine but was anxious to get rid of it. (Went LS prior to that happening).

Since I still had the in-cab tank, I bought a 71/72 float assembly for my 70 and used that extra line (vent? Can't remember) for my FCC vent/return line. I just cut it short inside and looped it up to keep it higher than the gas level in a full tank.

Optimal? Not sure. But seemed to work ok.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote