View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #136
moregrip

Re: my C10 project....building a truck from a heap of parts

Lol, I gotta tell ya, hunting down these old parts is a HUGE learning experience. sometimes I have to buy 3 or 4 parts to find a nice matching set.

Example. Bought an NOS GM RH taillight, surface scratches everywhere made in the USA (according to the box). Probably buff out just fine. Then I bought what I thought would be a matching new LH tail light from GM, made in Taiwan (did not know it was an overseas piece), beautiful piece actually, no scratches whatsoever. Taiwan part has GM logo on it, USA part has GUIDE IT on it where the GM logo is on the Taiwan piece. My point being, even though both parts are nice in their own way for what they are, and even though both parts (to the best of my knowledge) are exactly as described and what I paid for, they don't really match, so I either need an NOS GM LH tail light or a New RH GM Taiwan piece.

Went through the same thing for side marker lights. I'm sure most of you are much more informed than I, but I gotta tell you, this is a steep learning curve.

Lesson 1: Even if you get what you paid for there's still a chance it won't match the other side and the condition WILL vary.

Lesson 2: I don't even know what questions to ask until I get the part in hand because I don't have enough experience to realize all the production differences.

Lesson 3: If you can put eyes on something you want or need in person prioritize that purchase over a part with pictures on ebay or the internet, no matter how good the pictures!

Lesson 4: If you think your being annoying and have asked enough questions, you probably haven't.

I'm learning! Luckily, most of my lessons have not been terribly expensive, so far anyway!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)

Last edited by moregrip; 12-21-2018 at 09:09 AM.
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote