View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #20
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: HEI and Starter wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerjio View Post
I have a question regarding the black fuseable link wire coming from the positive side of the battery goes to a juction box , an the black wire that shows a fuse inline . my question is this , i dont have a fuseable wire from the battery do I need this an where can i get one, also what size fuse goes into the inline fuse link ? I'm redoing several mistakes PO have done an dont know what to do here!
If you look at the top of the top diagram you can see the fusible link and the wire with the fuse inline. This fused wire is for the battery charge gauge and works in conjunction with the one on the bottom of the diagram. If you have an idiot light you won't have these wires. The fusible link is nothing but a section of smaller gauge wire inside the wire that goes from the battery positive post to the terminal on the passenger side fender. It feeds and protects the entire positive circuit for the truck. If you don't have this then you are getting your positive voltage to the cab from somewhere else. In 1974 Gm started running the feed wire from the starter large post on the solenoid and the fusible links were moved down there.

The HEI feed wire can also be run from the firewall connector if you remove the orange/blue resistor wire and replace it with a 12 gauge red wire. It runs from the key switch ignition terminal to the firewall block. You can't just hook up the orange/blue wire to the HEI bat terminal because the HEI needs a full 12 volts to fire properly.

You guys can find out all this stuff if you hang out in the electrical forum.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote