View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
djferrari

Re: Wiring for a 1969 C10 Pickup

Thanks guys for all the info. Per Ron Francis wiring diagram sent to me with the kit, it shows 4 wires that go to the hot post on the Starter Soleniod. The positive batter cable, the hot wire from the alternator, the main hot from the fuse panel and the ignition hot wire from the back of the ignition switch to the post. I have not done anything with any grounds, but can tell you that the battery negative is bolted to the bracket on the alternator. There is a small ground strap that runs from the cylinder or the block to the body somewhere. I have converted to a internal regulator alternator, so I have pulled the wires off the external regulator. The smoke and heat all came when I turned to key to the run position, not when I actually tried to start the truck. My thought is that there are a lot of wires on that post and maybe it put out too much electricity and fried the starter soleniod. This is a complete rewire, so I am basically starting from scratch and doing exactly what Ron Francis tells me. I think I screwed up though and should have gone with a setup that was more year specific. Either way, I am stuck with what I have and my 16yo son is getting a bit frustrated. Thanks for the info.
djferrari is offline   Reply With Quote