View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #16
Jedema

Re: 1948 5 window with 125" wheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Joedoe made the most valid point on the plusses and minuses using an S-10 frame under these trucks I have seen and he is one of the champions of the S-10 swap.

Guys usually start wanting to do an S-10 swap because they hear that they are the cheap way to go.

They are somewhat cheap if you do like grandma did the thanksgiving turkey and use every usable piece as he does and render down the bones to get the last bit of broth.

They are not cheap if you pay a premium for an S-10 that you drive home. Then pay 1500 $$ plus for a code 504 swap kit then spend 500 rebuilding the worn out front suspension and or bagging it as many guys do along with taking out the rear suspension replacing the axle and putting in a 4 link and bags. I have and Joe has see guys with right around 4000 bucks in an S-10 frame swap. That is just the fame swap to have a roller without an engine or trans.

I'd sit back and study my options and come up with a plan that works for the budget I have available and makes that safe comfortable truck when you are done.
Absolutely. that is why I'm digging these views. I originally bit on the S10 frame because it was already stripped down, straight, and came with the engine and trans for $250. Yes, the suspension is toast in the front. I already don't have a lot of the accessories that help with this process. Pedals and such.

I sold the Engine and Trans for $100 to get them out of my garage. So I'm into the frame for $150 currently. Not horrible to start with, but as Joe says, I don't have the other stuff for it so that is going to quickly offset the cheap starting point.

So, for $150 I don't feel like I'm going to be losing anything too far by starting over lol.
Jedema is offline   Reply With Quote