Thread: 292 4bbl Carb
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
cg285

Re: 292 4bbl Carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic1965 View Post
I have a 1965 292 L6 which is all stock as of now. I was told the best way to get better mileage was to change to HEI, bigger headers and bigger carb. I have a 4bbl Quadrajet I pulled off of a Mercruiser 305 marine engine. Will this carb work on my engine? What is the difference between marine and automotive carbs?
i'll let you know after i finish playing with another eng for one of my trucks. i am going to start off slow and change a few items at a time so i can compare to a baseline vs making multiple changes at once.
what i can assure you is changing to an hei will have absolutely no affect on your mileage or hp. (and here is where a bunch can chime in to tell me i am wrong - but i am not) what you will get, by changing to hei, is loosing the periodic points replacement (although points will last 50k + if matched to the correct condenser) but that will be replaced by changing the module, periodically, while you are stranded dead in the water - UNLESS you use only delco components - especially the module - and follow the directions with the heat paste. and use plugs with a gap of .045 vs .060
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote