View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #198
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Good news! The strip joint called and said my stuff was ready. Reserved a U-Haul truck for 24 hours and ferried everything back here to prepare for reassembly. Had to move a lot of parts around to make room but felt really motivated.

Over the weekend, I worked on subassemblies and also began prep on the firewall. I want to smooth it out and make it a bit more symmetric since the heater box and fan will be replaced by a block-off plate for the Vintage Air. I also plan to mount the fuse panel on the kick panel and route the wiring along the fenders to hide it better. So various and sundry f/w holes need to be patched. I used poster board to make a pattern that matched the f/w on the driver side, flipped it over and transferred it to a piece of sheetmetal. Rolled an offset bead around two edges then used a homemade corner roller to lay over the upper edge to mimic the rest of the panel. Spot welded it into place and then used my power nibbler to make a single opening on the driver side where several smaller holes needed to be filled. Made a patch for it as well as the clutch and e-brake cable openings. All are now tacked in place and ready for the MIG. It will have to wait, however, as I have bigger fish to fry.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote