View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 04:44 AM   #6587
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

So the Caddy continues to deliver great service both as a cheap daily (cost me £1200.00 as it stands) and as a load lugger and functional tool.

Amazingly I saw it early, and bought by it mid October.
Making it 6 months ago.
So in doing basic man maths, (which usually includes insurance and fuel) the car as it stands on the driveway cost me £200.00 per month. If you include insurance pro-rated to 6 months and diesel it probably comes to an unscientific £250.00 per month.
The longer and more it works here, the cheaper it effectively becomes.

So a tip run to dispose of my two lodger spare room double bed mattresses and two large TV’s, two TV stands, cardboard and polystyrene resulted in me scavenging out of the metal disposal bin (with permission, in the UK where I live, you can be prosecuted for removing a paperclip.) a small rotten kids size cast metal garden bench.

Bench as seen and into the Caddy before I got rid of the mattresses.

Back home I quickly unloaded my treasure and took stock of what I had.
Hmmmmmmmm……??

Why do I do this every time?

Coffee and a digestive, chat with a buddy, check email etc

Then headed out to go play

Disassembling with caution as its old and I really don’t like breaking stuff like this

Also headed into my secret wood store to find some correct wood. Something the right thickness, texture etc I love old bed frames, IKEA shelving and such as its already planed, smooth and usually good quality, so the Caddy could pick those up when you drive by

After preparing the wood I cleaned up the rest of the frame and proceeded with etch primer and then painted the parts

Originally I had some dull blue to use but the can (was 50p years ago on an end of production sale) kept failing

I eventually switched to a can of burgundy, which actually turned out to be a good choice

Overnight the paint dried nicely.

So yesterday I continued with assembly

And this was the loose assembly.

And finally completed.

Looking a lot better than 18 hours before.

Stepping back, I noticed that there was more to do.

So another piece of wood liberated from the store.

My £20.00 bootfair router from a weekend away about 10 years ago came out, along with a sander Mickey threw out years ago.

So I made and detailed a name plate for the grandkids. Sally’s, not mine.
Harry is 5 years old and Alfie 9 months old.

After a quick practice session I free handed the names.

drilled holes in the sides just for detail

Painted…….

​​​​​​​

And finally the 24 hour turn around

If I were to value my time, this becomes an extremely expensive bench for a couple of kids that are not even related to me

Delivered to Sallys place

Now she wants one in adult size as well

Looks great with the sand box I fixed last week

​​​​​​​Not sure what to do today
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote