View Single Post
Old 12-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
chengny

Re: Idiot Lights to Gauges

I checked both terminals of the oil light/e-choke plug and the tan wire is live when key is on. everything else is has no current. However, i noted that the large plug for oil light/e-choke also contains a blue wire running into the center of the plug. Not sure what this wire is doing since there is only two terminals on underside and i do not have an extra blue wire going to the gauge cluster plug.

If a person hasn't looked closely at the schematics, I can see why it would look like the plug goes to a 3 connector switch. There are 3 leads entering the back of that snap-on connector. A pink/white, a light blue and a dark blue.

The power supply is on the pink/wht (it maybe faded enough to look tan). The light blue (goes over to the choke heater) and the dark blue (runs back to the instrument panel to extinguish the "CHOKE"/low oil pressure warning light).

The light blue and the dark blue are spliced together inside the connector body which makes it look like a 3 stab plug. But it is just power in on the pink/wht and out on the two blues:

When the switch is closed the PNK/WHT supplies power to the LT BLU & DK BLU leads - which are connected to the choke heater and the negative side of the CHOKE light respectively.

So, when the engine is started - and oil pressure hits about 10 psi - the oil pressure switch contacts close, the choke heater begins to assist the choke opening and the CHOKE light on the dash goes out.
chengny is offline   Reply With Quote