View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #187
Killer Bee

Re: Eaton HO72/HO52 vs. 14 Bolt FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdbengry View Post
I read somewhere a while ago that the ho52s, don't have a crush sleeve in that case how do I go about tourqing the pinion nut down after I take it apart. Just throw 100ft lbs at it?
I haven't had one apart myself but the general consensus seems to be that.. I'm sure there's a bearing preload procedure for it though.. I did stumble across this site that sells parts for these and seems that only shims are required for pinion depth, no crush sleeve for preload..

http://www.quad4x4.com/catalog/categ...-1972#cat_2846

if it were me, I'd consult Anaheim gear [local to me] and either pay a few bucks for a professional bench setup or ask for some free advice and drop off a couple of twelvers..

there's more info out there including factory repair manuals as well that could be consulted for proper procedures.. I just haven't gone that far since both of mine are in good order not requiring disassembly as far as I can tell at this point..

pirate4x4.com has a lot of threads on the subject but tread carefully there.. loosely moderated and you'll have to sort the fly poop from the pepper..

if I turn up any info I'll gladly share, good luck!