View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 07:54 PM   #8
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmguy View Post
Always thought I would get a cobra kit back when it was popular to use a fox body with the original 5.0. Never did it. Too much life got in the way. I wish you luck and look forward to watching. Have fun!
You can still build a kit that way. Many people opt for the complete kit though and not use a donor at all. Just buy the engine/transmission combo you want, get an axle from the junkyard or new and start assembling it.

Today was the first time I actually did something towards building my car other than buying parts. The rear mount needs to be cut off the transmission, which is a little unnerving to do on a $2500 transmission. Also checked out one of the rod bearings to make sure they are ok, it looked like new. So that's good.

Yesterday I ordered a bellhousing, shallow oil pan and starter. Today I ordered a clutch and flywheel. There's a few other odds and ends to get the clutch bolted up and working but the main components are on the way. I think the next main parts to get are the radiator and fans. They are missing from my donor mustang. Also need the alternator set up and I need to decide what I'm doing for steering and brakes. Most cobra owners think you need power steering. Several have added it after building the car without it. Another factor is the donor car uses hydro boost brakes which requires a power steering pump to work. So with all that in mind I'll have to get a power steering pump set up to fit the coyote. I believe it's only aftermarket or through Ford performance for swaps because all the coyote powered vehicles vehicles have electric power assist steering.

There are kits available for using electric assist steering on the cobra but I don't think it will work on one with the coyote engine, ironically, due to clearance issues.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote