View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 06:37 PM   #8
PbFut

Re: should i go for it?

I am in middle of a painting my 72. You need to be realistic on how much time you have. I am retired and it's eating up most of my time since late Nov. I had rust damage to the top of the bed rails and doors messed up from someone caving in the camper mirrors. I have completed body and block. Just tested the sealer primer over the filler primer. I used Rustoleum 2 in 1 filler primer. Since I just do small areas as time permits the rattle can method worked good. I found out midway that Rustoleum does not play well with other products. I was careful to allow plenty cure time before today's test. I used a piece of old hood. I also shot a small part, the cover for a factory aux fuel tank. All went better than expected up to this point. Still long ways to go. I took all trim and glass out. I wanted to remove bed but the bumper is welded to the frame and bed. I was scope creeping anyway so decided let that idea go. One thing I learned. Pick your paint and work backwards picking primer and gun(s). Buy the best gun you can afford paying attention to ease to clean. You will spend 2500 to 3000 on paint, supplies and medium level gun. Lots of sanding. Be sure you have time and physical ability. I come in the house a bit beat up some days.
PbFut is online now   Reply With Quote