View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 09:37 PM   #409
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

So does anybody have any thoughts on why my brakes are so soft? When the motor is off the pedal seems pretty good and has a firm feeling from the top of the throw all the way to the bottom. As soon as I turn the motor on, I have zero pedal until almost 1/2 -2/3 of the way down, then I have half way decent brakes. The truck is drivable like this but not safe or comfortable at all.

I was thinking first to disconnect the vacuum line to the booster and see how the brakes work like that for awhile.

The other thing I was thinking is perhaps the residual valves are the problem. When I did my brake lines I put the valves in just to be on the safe side but looking at the truck now that it is on the ground, the master cylinder is definately higher then the front calipers. The rear wheel cylinders apear to be at or slightly higher then the master cylinder. I thought I read somwhere that these residual valves could be a problem if installed when not needed.

I have messed with the proportioning valve and that seems to have no effect one way or the other.

The only other thing I am thinking is that the master cylinder is to small????????

Any thoughts? Anybody? Hello? Bueller? Ferris Bueller?
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote