View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
kipps

Re: Need advice about LS3 DRY swap

I would not get too hung up on a dry sump pan. The transmission will be hanging as low as the normal Camaro pan does anyway.

I found a measurement saying that the 6l80, as used in the Camaro, has a centerline to pan depth of 9.2 inches. The Camaro ls3 oil pan(wet sump) has a crankshaft centerline to pan depth of 8 inches. Therefore, for a direct coupled transmission(unlike the Corvette, which moved the transmission to the rear), there's no clearance advantage to a dry sump, since the transmission hangs lower anyway.

Assuming you're installing a typical mid-mount transmission, just locate a complete ls3 and transmission combo out of a 2010-15 Camaro. Use the transmission that came with the engine, whether it's automatic or manual. Both are well-respected. To switch back and forth between an automatic and manual, or to go with an older automatic such as a 4l80, is just asking for wiring and tuning problems.

If you find a complete salvage Corvette, you might consider using that drivetrain in its entirety. You may give up bed space, but there's no reason the entire rear suspension and transaxle can't be moved over to the c10. Of course by that point, is it really a c10 anymore?

About the exhaust -- I've heard of folks using 2010-15 Camaro long-tubes on c10 trucks. From my limited experience with manifolds and cat downpipes, I'm guessing you'll need to avoid Tejas mounts in order to use the Camaro exhaust. The Tejas mounts move the engine a little higher in the chassis, and tilt the exhaust down to far.

Compare measurement "H" for the 6L80 in the following link to these two pics. Note that the 6L80 is 9.2 inches deep, the Camaro ls3 is about 8 inches deep, and the Corvette ls3 is 7 inches deep. All measured from the crankshaft line.

https://paceperformance.com/p-28983-...imensions.html
Attached Images

1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by kipps; 09-11-2020 at 10:38 PM.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote