View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
landarts
landarts

Re: 68 Second Chance

So after getting the truck home and cleaned out and scrubbed down, these are the items that I will be addressing to get it back on the road.
  1. There was about half a tank of gas that was probably in there over 10 years. Looked dark orange to almost brown in color and did not smell so good.
  2. The motor will need to be addressed to see what it will take to get it running.
  3. Check on the brakes and any other mechanical.
  4. Reinstall the seat that was in the bed when I bought it.
  5. Both windows will not roll down, so will need to pop off door panels and get that working again.
  6. Probably will need new tires or some take offs

So last weekend I removed the gas tank and started the cleaning process. Removed the fuel sending unit which I cleaned with lacquer thinner. Blew out and ran a few small bottle brush type cleaners through the tubes. Removed the metal mesh sock that was toast. Will install a Wix filter under the truck and one at the carb until I know all is good. The gas tank is being soaked with about a gallon of Acetone and a chain. Been working it back and forth everyday after work and it is doing a good job of getting the black look tar out of the bottom and sides.

I moved onto the motor later in the day on Saturday by checking fluids, removing spark plugs and squirting a little marvel Mystery oil into the pistons. Install new battery cables and new battery, disconnected the fuel line to the carburetor and inserted into a large water bottle to catch any bad gas that the fuel pump might pushout. Put a little gas down the carburetor and try to fire it over. I tried a few times to start it but no luck.

Sunday I decided I would do a tune up and see if I could get this thing to fire up. Here are the items that I replaced:
  • replaced the AC delco R44 plugs with AC Delco R45 plugs
  • New Plug wires, old ones were very brittle and crusty
  • Distributor cap and rotor
  • Added a brand new Pertronics Ignitor II and Flamethrower Coil

After doing all of the above I tried to fire it up again and had no luck again. I did pull a plug and hold to ground to make sure I was getting fire down to the plugs and it had a nice white spark when turned over. Probably have the distributor off a tooth or two so will be working on that by pulling plug and find TDC. I needed to recharge the battery after cranking for a bit on the motor.

So I decided to pull the carburetor off since it would need to be rebuilt or replaced. When I went to pull the carburetor off which is a 2 barrel Rochester 2 Jet with an oil bath air cleaner, the front two mounting studs broke of with hardly any pressure. So I have worked on getting those out the last two days after work and finally succeded. After that I chased all the mounting threads on intake with a 5/16 18NC tap to make sure the threads were good. Ordered a new rebuilt 2 barrel carburetor from Amazon to get it going.

This afternoon I will remount the intake with new Fel-Pro gaskets and let the RTV cure over night. Friday I will put the distributor back in after finding TDC, check that all wires are going to the right plugs. Mount the new carburetor and hookup a tempory tank and see if I can get it to fire up.

Sometimes when you are trying to rescue these trucks they seem to kick and fight all the way.
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote