View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
1971 cheburban

Talking 427 tall deck???? I need HELP!!!

I've always wanted a 427, i now know where one is but it's the tall deck truck version, now everybody says that they aren't a good motor. But I would be building for the street not strip, what all would I have to do to make it street able. I know they came with the big 4 ring pistons. Can I do away with those and keep the original rodsa and crank, but have new pistons pressed on the rods? Everyone also says they don't like to rev, is it to much stroke or just the heavy rotating mass, maybe with lighter rods and pistons it would be better? Also the heads...... Are the original ones on it any good or just paper weights? Can I get any aftermarket heads and intake for it or no, I would be looking for a single four intake and I would use the original heads if they're good, I've heard someone makes an adaptor to use aftermarket intakes with the original heads or use aftermarket heads and intake?the originals maybe port them and have a valve job done, also exhaust..... Can I get headers or are the original manifolds pretty decent, and can I use a normal sized exhaust system. Also does anyone have the torque and horsepower numbers. Keep in mind that I would just be cruising the streets, maybe at a red light tach it to 3000 and sidestep it, just to melt some tires, but no strip runs, so no 7000 R's or anything like that. If anybody can help this 19 year old kid out I'd greatly appreciate it
1971 cheburban is offline   Reply With Quote