View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #23
MARKDTN

Re: 427 tall deck???? I need HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971 cheburban View Post
Man I'm learning a lot, what kind of pushrods do I need, can I buy them or do I have to have them made, and what good rods to use, I don't need the 800 for 8 expensive set but I want a good set, and the .400 longer ones too, also the distributor, can someone explain how that works, like if I was to use regular big block heads and intake, do I use a regular big block distributor? Or do I have lot have the adjustable one? Thanks everybody for your input
If you use stock heads, you can use stock tall-deck pushrods.

Pretty sure you can use an HEI from a tall-deck. May want to change the curve and/or use a non-truck module. You can buy them with adjustable collar, but not sure it's worth the hassle.

The aftermarket intakes for tall-deck all appear to be single plane in Summit. The Corvette Forum article says the one he got was for the peanut-port tall deck heads. I don't put too much stock in that article because he never got it running. I am an Engineer. We do a lot of drawing parts and making 3D assemblies. In the real world, the fit is always close, but not always as nice as it looks on the computer. My point is that unless they finished the project, they don't KNOW that it will work well. The ones on here with running engines at least can say they have done it and can tell their experience.

It all still sounds expensive to me. I would take the crank and rods from the tall deck and go find a 454 block and build a regular deck 427 if I just had to have a big block. Or go buy a 502 crate motor. Or an LS.......
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote