View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #23
Killer Bee

Re: Which car hauler trailer to buy for my long bed?

^ yep, storage is an issue for me while I'm living in the city..

but my 16' carson has fit everything I've needed it for and it stores nicely behind the house with a full size truck in front of it

drop the tongue onto some blocks and tilt the jack back to clear the rear end of the pickup..

thought about welding on a receiver for a winch but haven't really needed it.. two come alongs takes a few minutes but gets it done..

I do highly recommend ordering brakes on both axles and a good controller, I use a Tekonsha Prodigy..

makes downhill grades smooth and straight without taxing or frying the truck brakes..

I made it 140k miles on that '02 GMC before replacing brakes having towed several thousand rough miles over the years..

to accommodate lower vehicle loading, I back into the driveway approach and/or floor jack the front end of the trailer to ease the angle..

and the weight of the trailer is also an issue depending on the prime mover you have available..

with the wood deck, it weighs only about 1500lbs and saves a lot of wear and rear on everything..

for my infrequent hauling, my half ton with 4.56 posi rear and air bags works well enough to pull mountain grades in third, 1:1

loaded with a 4-6k vehicle, I'm still within rated towing capacity, barely though..

but I'm not gonna lie, one of those 20' heavy duty, heavy axle jobs would be nice if I had the room here and a 3/4 - 1 ton diesel pickup..