Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #110
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Sheet metal updates - Passenger side cab corner

Well my cab corner is in. The reproduction piece really didn't fit well. And unfortunately I didn't realize how bad in was until I started tacking it in and wrapping it around the cab as I went. More on this later.

I started out with weld thru primer on the body and the part but I just can't stand how easily the paint rubs off so I scuffed it all down again and shot some eastwood rust converter on it. It states its also an epoxy along with rust conversion so I hope to have good luck with it from here on out. I end up wire wheeling away the paint where i'm going to be welding anyways so what's the point??

I started out like this.....

And ended up like this...

The rest is just cab corner welding. I will say however, switching to .023 mig wire is SOOOO much better than .030. The grinding process is less and it seems to just weld easier on thin sheet metal.

So this piece from the side, can you see how it bows out towards the bottom?

Well I ended up cutting a very small pie cut out to bring the lower part of cab corner back in towards the truck, but the floor pan sticks out that far so the cab corner never would have been straight down anyways.

It didn't bring it in much farther but my pictures don't show the REAL comparison. It helped. Trust me...

The way I did this cab corner was I started on the door side, tacked in the spot welds and then started wrapping the cab corner around to towards the back of the cab and as I was doing this I realized it was off. Which led me to the pie cut(PS: I can't get to the inside of the cab to grind down that pie cut so this needs to be fixed before hand). I realized that just sitting the cab corner over the existing hole and just "eye balling" it wasn't going to work on this type of piece. You really need 2 hands to hold this thing in place and a level. Grind till you get it right the first time, over and over, then burn the piece in. So I will get help on the drivers side

I also still have not welded the cab corner from the underneath side to the floor pan so this will pull it in just a little more as well. I plan to do this work when I pull the cab off the frame one last time for undercoating. As for the rest of the cab corner fitment, it didn't have enough material under the door side to meet with the outer rocker panel so I will also have to weld in a small piece of sheet that I bend myself to connect the cab corner to the rocker.

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 02-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote