View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #98
gerfunken

Re: Scott's 1972 Chevy K-20. A place to start.

Moving along, I also needed to replace the cab lights. These have been cracked, and the dry brittleness of the mounting pads meant that I couldn't just replace the lenses. I had attempted this earlier with one, only to find out that I just couldn't get it to seat properly. Using the combination of pressure from the screws, and a pick to try and massage the base plate up over the edge of the lens only caused me to break the lip on the base.

Now, things were going well until I hit the fourth light. When trying to put the screw back in, I found that it was binding up pretty bad. I pulled out one of the old screws, figuring that it should work, but snapped it. At that point, I figured that I would just get a tap, and clean out the threads. Sure, easy enough, but it started binding as well. And, wouldn't you know it, the nut that was welded into the bottom side of the cab snapped off.

Well, I was able to recover it. I also put the nut in a vise, and ran the tap through it so that it wouldn't cause a problem. And through the magic of leverage, magnets and patience, I was able to get it mounted back in place. (no after pictures....)

Item 3: finally done.

Item 4: Figured out. I have been having an issue with my fog lights after putting everything back together. Deciding to investigate, I bypassed the switch, and tried to get the lights to work directly from the battery. I could hear the relay "click" but the lights wouldn't come on. Back to O'Reilly auto to see if they had a replacement relay. Came back, installed the new relay, and same thing happened. Ok, what now.... after chasing electrical gremlins for quite some time on this one, I decided that I would just bypass everything, and (since I've installed the new halogen's and an upgraded wiring harness), I just decided to bypass the entire relay, and tapped the high-beam line so that the fog lights come on when I hit the high-beams. Problem Solved!

Item 5: Perplexed. After dealing with the fog lights, I though it would be a good idea for me to validate the new turn signal switch. On a good note, the horn works again (check). Left turn (check). Right turn (no-bueno). Hazards (no-bueno). ?????
I've played with this a little bit, and think that I have it isolated to a missing ground, but wasn't able to chase after it.

Item 6: Not started. Ok, I've been in the garage for 8 hours straight, and the heat was finally getting to me. (It's probably also why I gave up on Item 5.) It was a balmy 102 in the garage by this point, and there was only so much that ice water would do for me at this point. But, since we all love pictures, here's the project that I didn't get started.

This is in the Dodge, and I need to bring it over to the '72.

And I was smart enough to find a wiring diagram for it.

All and all, I got a bunch of stuff done, but I still have a couple of outstanding items that I need to deal with this week.

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote