View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #109
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdecat View Post
Nice looking truck! I'm considering something similar. I picked up a 58 and 59 and between the two of them could build a pretty much original truck. I'd rather have a sweet looking 59 with all of the modern conveniences. If you don't mind me asking...what did your donor frame cost? I'm trying to keep my build "reasonably" priced so I was originally looking at a mid 80's pickup that had a beat up body, but good stuff underneath. Four wheel disc brakes sounds pretty nice though. I'm going to build a flat bed, so mounting the bed isn't an issue. I just want to drop the cab on top of the engine, tranny, frame, and then tuck everything inside. Any thoughts from someone who's been down this road before?
The problem I had selecting a donor was the track width. Everthing seemed to be too wide. The Dynacorn project reference earlier in my thread convinced me to go this way. I paid $800 for the "fully loaded" frame. Came with everthing except wheels/tires, engine, transmission and radiator. Even got the jack/tools, spare and a full tank of gas. Pay attention to the color of the body mounts. They are painted and I suspect they belong in a certain location on the frame depending on load. I did not so all I can do is make sure I have the same color rubber mounts across from each other. The oil pan unique to this vehicle so, if you are going 5.3 or 6.0 liter LS, it would be easier to get one that came out of an Envoy/Trailblazer rather than a truck or SUV. Get your thread started so we can enjoy...and lots of pictures...dug
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote