View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 12:57 AM   #3
PLYONS11

Re: 63 3/4ton control arm swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
the only way that you could perform your conversion without changing the suspension crossmember would be to weld on the saddles needed for a typical round lower control arm shaft. This would have to be done very precisely, otherwise you will never get the front aligned correctly.

There was a member here on the forum that said that the C10 disc brake lower balljoint will fit the C20 lower control arm if the hole is opened up slightly. Something like a sanding drum/flap wheel on a die grinder would work. But that does not allow you to use any other control arms other than stock '63-'66 C20 lower control arms.

I could sell you a stock C10 crossmember, but I'm sure the shipping would be high. Maybe someone closer has one.
Would the 305v6 engine mounts work with the c10 crossmember? If I remember correctly the bottom bolts of the engine mounts bolt to the crossmember? I also believe I read that it could be replaced/swapped without pulling the engine as long as I supported the engine with a hoist from the top. Is that correct? Aside from the fact that the later model parts are more readily available and likely less expensive are there any other advantages to be gained by swapping the crossmember? If I chose to just buy a drop spindle specifically for the c20 that utilizes the factory ball joint would the geometry all work in a lowered stance? Or am I not understanding your post and you are saying that none of these parts are made? For some reason I feel like I've seen a drop spindle for the c20, but I can't remember where. I just did a quick search and I can't find it now.

Captain I want to take a minute to thank you for all your knowledge and time spent listening to my questions and offering so much advice. This is by far my biggest/most in depth project I have even taken on automotively speaking. The people on this forum are just awesome. I'd still be searching the Internet for my millions of questions and would have completed no progress without you guys!

I've made the commitment and already invested a fair amount of time and money in this project so I want to see it to completion and get my grandfathers truck back in the road, but knowing what I know now I would have just kept it original or bought a C10 to start with. Every time I finish something in converting this thing to a half ton I run into another hurdle.
PLYONS11 is offline   Reply With Quote