Thread: Diy spid
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
magicoolbus

Diy spid

Hi folks,
Been spending some time at the PC lately in an effort to come up with my own SPID for my suburban. I was unhappy with what was available and thought I could do it myself. I did a lot of research on the font and as many have discovered, it is no where to be found. So in the modern computer era, I figured there has to be something that is close that would only be discernable to the purist of the hobby. I do believe I was successful and was able to find a font called "Artisan 12" from the dafont.com website.

I uploaded it to my PC and at first tried to make a bit of a template using word, but was very quickly dissatisfied with the results and the effort with the alignment. Switching over to Excel proved much easier, all told, I would say I have about 1.5 hours in the project total.

I ordered a couple of blank SPID's from LMC for about 5 bux each. Next just printed the 'beta' SPID on regular paper and held up to the blank. Made notes where I needed to tweek the alignment and sizing and reprinted. I probably printed about 15 'betas' until I had what I thought was an acceptable template. After each print, I would hold the blank SPID behind the printed page and using a flashlight aligned the columns. A glass coffee table with a light underneath would have been the optimum method I believe. Once I was sold that I was in the ballpark, I used some of the wives double stick 'scrapbook' tape and taped the blank SPID onto a final 'beta' piece of printed paper aligning it as before using the backlight method. Then printed it again with my printer. Being that the ink is not what I would call UV and or waterproof, I plan on covering up the SPID with a clear piece of vinyl.

In looking at numerous SPID examples, I did find some consistent areas to base my template on, in particular the wheel base dimension was always aligned under the second "I" in "IDENTIFICATION" directly above the box. The VIN number 3rd digit was typically under the "S" of SERVICE. I also noted that with very few exceptions the interior color code was on the bottom left column and the exterior paint code on the bottom right. The basic 3 digit RPO's are basically alphabetical, with no real rhyme or reason of left or right column.

Below is a photo of by 'before' and my 'after.' All told, I have about 6 bucks plus time into the project. If interested in my excel file, send me a PM and I will email you the file and you can determine if it may work for you.

I also included another project that I just completed for the Jack Stowage decal. This is not reproduced by any vendors that I am aware of. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote