View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 12:08 PM   #11
Rollo Grande

Re: New Q-Jet will not settle down to idle, it's driving me %$#%$#%$

Ah sorry guys! I was working over the weekend and did not get email notifications for replies to this thread. Pics attached.

I think you are on to something with ignition. The engine seems to run okay but it may be on less than 8. I took first real highway trip to Concord and it really struggles.

It also may be part of my other problem which is: in 4th gear I am turning 4000 rpm at 50 mph. I assume that's partly gearing and partly a little bit of tach error, the speedo is dead-on balls accurate according to GPS. I dont know why the axle would be geared THAT low even in 1970. Especially in an AC/tach truck.

@HO455 I read your Burbon thread and felt a bit like Forrest Gump (I'm not a smart maaaan) but i think I get the gist of what you are saying. Your carbs big vacuum port goes to some kind of choke attachment and mine was going to the air cleaner. Capped in the photos and i don't know what that little one does.

Anyway I have decided to call in a lifeline and go see my Corvair mechanic who is an old-school Chevy factory guy and have him look it over. Which i probably should have done a long time ago, it will be good to see him again.

I know how to make the truck look good, but getting it to run good, (at least for a camping trip next week) is beyond me at the moment.

Thanks for the help and I will reply with what I learn.
Attached Images

Rollo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote