View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #17
jeffahart

Re: New Q-Jet will not settle down to idle, it's driving me %$#%$#%$

I've dealt with those re-pop Q-jets before. They're fine. Follow this procedure for your choke. I copied this, I don't want to type a bunch of stuff. I think it's a Lars procedure, anyhow do this first. FYI, Lars has written lots of good info on the Q-jet.

Of course, get the missing(and needed parts) for your carb. It's not a divorced thing or whatever, as you stated. It needs to be hooked up and adjusted before you do anything else IMHO.

Divorced Choke Systems (1967-1974)
*Disconnect the divorced choke rod from the lever on the passenger side of the carb. Leave it attached to the choke coil box on the manifold.
*Open the throttle slightly and fully close the choke by pushing on the lever arm that the disconnected rod normally attaches to.
*Push the choke rod all the way down into the choke coil until it hits the stop. If the engine is dead cold, it may already be bottomed out.
*At this position, the top of the choke rod should be level with the bottom edge of the choke rod hole in the lever on the carb.
*Bend the rod to obtain this relationship.
*Once complete, hook the rod back up to the lever.
*With the rod hooked up, push the choke rod back down to the seated position once again. This should fully close the choke blade. If the choke blade is not fully closed in this position, bend the choke intermediate rod that comes up through the body of the carb and attaches to the choke blade lever. Bend the rod so that the choke blade is fully closed.
*Remove the short piece of vacuum hose attaching the choke pulloff to the vacuum nipple on the carb. Attach a long (about 2’) vacuum hose to the pulloff.
*Crack the throttle slightly and push down on the divorced choke rod to close the choke fully. Release the throttle. Keep light finger pressure on the choke rod to maintain light closing pressure on the choke.
*Suck on the vacuum hose to retract the choke pulloff. If the pulloff does not retract, it must be replaced.
*With the pulloff fully retracted and light finger pressure on the choke rod, use your other hand to lightly push down on the forward lower edge of the choke blade to simulate to force of the air across the blade. This will open the choke slightly. At this point, measure the distance between the forward lower edge of the choke blade and the forward wall of the airhorn. This distance should be ¼”. You can use a ¼” drill bit as a simple gauge to check it. To adjust, bend the tang on the choke linkage where it contacts the choke pulloff rod.
*Re-attach the vacuum hose to the pulloff and the carb.

Now see if it comes off fast idle!
Good luck,

j